We are very excited to be able to reveal news of our new £150,000 world music and dance project All Together Now.
The two-year project will include opportunities for musicians, dancers, schoolchildren and communities across Shropshire and bring new artists and musical and dance commissions to the festival.
It will include:
- An outreach programme taking creative world dance and music into Shropshire schools, dance schools and other community places
- A music outreach programme taking artists into rural primary and secondary schools that will lead to a showcase festival performance
- New music and dance commissions
- Running the Shropshire Youth Folk Ensemble for gifted and skilled young musicians with Shropshire Music Service
- Music workshop weekends offering master classes from professional musicians
- Additional music workshops and world artists on the festival programme.
This is an incredible opportunity for Shropshire and the festival. We will have a very diverse programme of activity that will bring more and different types of world music and dance to our locality. We hope that by encouraging younger people to engage with such great activities they will discover and enjoy the folk festival for themselves. At the same time, there will be additional employment and professional development opportunities for musicians and dancers.
There’ll be lots more information in the months to come about how you can get involved – watch this space!
We are very grateful for an investment of £86,410 from the National Lottery through Arts Council England, Shropshire Council for a £5,000 Arts Development award, and Shrewsbury Town Council for a £2,000 grant. The festival will meet the remaining cost.