Here is all the information you need to know about applying to be a caterer at Shrewsbury Folk Festival
Please read the following terms and conditions:
- Applications should be submitted by January 31.
- Successful applicants will be notified in February.
- Unsuccessful applicants will be notified ASAP.
Arrival and departure
- Arrival: Wednesday 21st 14:00-20:00 or Thursday 22nd August from 10:00-14.00. Do not arrive early as access cannot be permitted…no exceptions.
- Departure: Monday 26 August from 20:00 to Tuesday 12:00 the following day when the site officially closes.
- Should the trader cancel their attendance at the festival, fees paid are non-refundable.
- Should the festival be cancelled by Government decision, fees paid are non-refundable.
- Should the management cancel the festival, fees paid will be refundable.
- No refunds, full or partial, will be available should trading not meet with your expectation.
Catering pitch details etc.
- All pitches are outside on the West Mid Showground, Berwick Road, Shrewsbury, SY1 2PF.
- You will need to be self-sufficient and provide all of your own weather protection, lighting, tables and chairs. You can also bring chairs and tables for customers and an A-Frame (max 1m square) to advertise your menu.
- Parking, prep areas and camping space will be reserved directly behind your unit. Pitch depth is approximately 15m.
- The festival provides water points (these should only be used for water collection and not washing up), showers and toilets.
- Electric supply is available to hire. Please see application and electrical requirements forms. It’s far better to over-estimate the demand.
- All food prep, washing up, cooking and delivery should be under cover and on a cleanable surface.
- All temporary catering structures (marquees/gazebos etc.) must be of heavy duty, professional quality, and flame retardant to BS7837:1996 or European equivalent.
- Pitches must be left clean – pay particular note to cable ties.
- Music (if played) should not be loud enough to disturb other caterers, sessions or concerts and should be appropriate to the festival.
Discretional trading times
- Wednesday: teatime only, we have a crew of about 500 stewards plus technicians, contractors and traders etc.
- Thursday: a significant number of camping ticket holders arrive between 15.00-18.00.
- Friday: gates open to remaining ticket holders at 07:00. Breakfast should be available on Friday. Finish trading at 01:00.
- Saturday: early for breakfast until 01:00.
- Sunday: early for breakfast until 01:00.
- Monday: early for breakfast until 19:30 at the earliest. Festival events finish at about 18:00. Many people remain onsite on Monday night and appreciate an evening meal.
- Tuesday: early for breakfast only.
- If you need medical assistance, we have an experienced first aid team (including paramedics) on site 24hrs a day near gate 2. Alternatively, they can be contacted by any steward with a radio. Please carry a first aid box.
- In an emergency never hesitate to dial 999 from a mobile phone telling the operator that you are on the West Mid Showground, Berwick Road, Shrewsbury, SY1 2PF.
- All equipment used on site must be PAT tested and a copy of the PAT test certificate must be available on site
- All electrical supplies will be energised on Wednesday August 21st 2024 as close to 11:00 as possible
- All electrical supplies will be disconnected on Tuesday August 27th 2024 at 10:00 without exception
- Your Mains Input Connection as requested on this form will, where possible, be located within 20 mtrs of your pitch
- Your electrical connection is managed by Yellow Events Ltd who is your point of contact on site
- An electrical supply will only be made available to caterers who have completed and returned this form on time
- Readings will be taken frequently on your electrical demand throughout the event. If it is found that you are exceeding the ratings that you have provided on this form, then your supply may be terminated or equipment may be put beyond use to return to you within your specified ratings. It is far better to over estimate your demand.
For all electrical queries prior to the festival please contact email@example.com.
For all electrical queries during the festival contact the festival catering stewards who will in turn contact the site electrics team.
- Rubbish must be placed in the recycling bins. Bottles, cans, paper, cardboard, metal and plastics etc. will be sorted and recycled. Our recycling team will help you deal with food waste in the best possible way and will liaise with you at the festival.
- Your catering pitch must be left as clean as you find it.
- Grey water must be collected into appropriate containers and removed to official waste disposal points.
- All caterers must use biodegradable serving containers, plates, cups and knives and forks etc.
- Please provide re-usable coffee cups if possible.
- Polystyrene and plastics are not permitted.
- The sale of single use plastic water and pop bottles is not permitted.
- We will need copies of your insurance (£5m Public Liability, £5m Product Liability and £10m Employers Liability).
- We recommend NCASS (National Caterers Association) https://www.ncass.org.uk/ 0121 603 2524.
- Meal vouchers are provided to key festival workers and artists. These vouchers entitle the bearer to ONE MEAL (maximum value £8). We’d be very grateful if you would participate in the meal voucher scheme and take advantage of this additional source of income.
- Please post your meal vouchers along with an invoice to us before 30 September. It will not be possible to pay you at the festival. We will pay by BACS so please make sure you include your bank details on the application form and ensure each voucher includes the cost of one meal.
Menu, price list and images
- A full menu, price list and images or links to images of your unit and the food you’d like to provide must be included with your application. Applications without these documents cannot be considered.
- SFF is a family event and children’s portions would be greatly appreciated.
- Preference is given to traders who use fair-trade or ethically sourced food.
- Successful applicants will be invoiced in March. Your pitch will not be reserved until payment is received in full (strictly 30 days terms).
- All payments must be made by BACS. Please send an email confirming payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please use the trading name given on your application form (not your own name or invoice number) as the bank reference or we will not be able to locate your payment.
As you are aware, health and safety is a hot topic and we need to ensure we comply with legislation. A risk assessment must accompany your application.
- Each trader must bring suitable fire extinguishers and blankets.
- Gas bottles, whether full or empty must be stored according to accepted codes of practice – further details to follow. For those using LPG cooking equipment, a current Gas Safety Certificate is required. The certificate must include the name of the engineer who issued the certificate and also his/her Gas Safe registration number.
- If you are using pressurized equipment (coffee machines etc.) you must send us a copy of your annual inspection report (The Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000).
- We require all portable electrical equipment to be PAT tested and that all relevant test results are provided.
- Catering trailers must have an annual test certificate to cover the electrical installation.
- All cooking appliances, including pilot lights, must be turned off when not supervised.
- Dress code: Reg (EC)852/2004: Every person working in the food handling area is to maintain a high degree of personal cleanliness and shall wear suitable, clean and where appropriate, protective clothing.
- In the event of a Met Office forecast of high winds or gusts over 25mph, you will be expected to remove loose or high-level advertising boards/hoardings.
If you have any security issues, please contact our security team (PRP Security). They can be contacted by any steward with a radio handset. Alternatively, you can visit our steward’s office for help and advice.
- Our local authority Environmental Health officers will be conducting spot checks.
- Health and Hygiene certificates should be displayed by all catering outlets.
- Shropshire Council will NOT permit you to trade unless you are registered with your local authority.
Movement of vehicles must be kept to an absolute minimum. Speed is a maximum of 5 mph and hazard warning lights must be used at all times. If you wish to use your vehicle on a regular basis you must park it in the car park field.
Wholesale deliveries are welcome but not on Friday morning. Delivery times do not need to be booked and we do not need vehicle registration numbers. You must be onsite to take delivery of your order. We will not look after deliveries for you.
Catering Application Form
Every business wishing to cater should complete and submit an application form. Please read the information and general terms and conditions before completing.
Before submitting your application check it for completeness and accuracy.
Please do not hesitate to contact catering managers Nigel & Sue Marriott if you need more information: email@example.com
The festival reserves the right to amend the terms and conditions if needed, with regard to updated guidance.